Many property owners ignore it, some take it as part of greening your yard. Few are aware that any type of household mold can create serious health risks to their family. It is so serious that it warrants immediate action when you see it grow on the surface of the concrete. The best way to eliminate mold is by preventing it in the first place.
Mold spores can cause many types of health risks, especially to those susceptible to allergies and respiratory problems. They can cause inflammatory rashes, headaches, and other flu-like symptoms. If anyone in the house is experiencing these symptoms it may be an indicator of mold. So have your house professionally inspected because mold can be deceiving. You don’t have to see it for it to exist. Most of the mold is not obvious (dark black splotches, rotting grey), it is invisible and hides in some areas. In your pavement, it can be slippery when wet, thus causing preventable injuries. This is more critical for the elderly and infirm. According to the US Council of Aging, every 19 minutes, an elderly person dies from a fall. So, it is important to have it checked and treated at least once a year. Just as you treat your car to a valet, your house needs it too!
Mold is often caused by excess condensation or sitting water, and often occurs after flooding or leakage. The first step in home inspection & remediation is to identify and fix any leaks and remove any standing water. Also, you may want to seal your concrete by using special products that are out on the market. To prevent condensation, add extra insulation and create plenty of circulation in dark, damp areas like basements and garages. Use fans, dehumidifiers, or other ventilation systems to avoid moisture build-up.
Basements generate concrete mold, so it may be best not to carpet since it easily builds up in the fibers. Make sure all piping and gutter systems are properly working so water is always diverted away from the house. It may be ideal to put plastic over crawlspaces leading to a basement, to prevent ground-level water from coming in. Also, avoid storing papers, clothing, or other forms of “mold fodder” in these danker areas.
Most concrete mold can be cleaned with strong solutions of bleach, which come with their own risks and irritations. And even after using cleaning products, a lot of it may still be able to thrive in those spaces. Therefore, the best way to get rid of it is to call professional contractors like us. We inspect and treat such problem areas to prevent unnecessary future buildup. Call us now at Tel 010534 8472